Hundreds of unfinished flats in Olievenhoutbosch Extension 37, end to Centurion, which cost the Gauteng provincial government nearly R190m, have been illegally occupied.
On Sunday night and Monday morning, a community of residents — some from as far as Diepsloot and others from Alexandra — started transferring furnishings into the flats.
Siyabulela Hans, who moved from Olievenhoutbosch Extension 13 and has now occupied an unfinished flat, says he’s bored with living in a shack whereas other accommodation stands empty.
When TimesLIVE arrived at the flats on Tuesday afternoon, it found a whole bunch of of us had moved in. A block with about 30 flats, and not using a home windows, doors or electricity, had been invaded. The illegal occupants historical gloomy plastic luggage to block the home windows and none of the flats had doors.
Hans says he moved in on story of he has been ready for government to allocate him a house for years.
Gauteng human settlements spokesperson Castro Ngobese confirmed that his division used to be privy to the illegal occupation of the houses in Olievenhoutbosch.
Ngobese acknowledged the division used to be building 945 flats at a cost of R187m, and they anticipated the contractor to whole them by March 31.
“The division is anxious with lawlessness and requests the law-enforcement authorities to act decisively towards the perpetrators. A case has been opened and the division is additionally occupied with an pressing court interdict,” Ngobese acknowledged.
In September closing twelve months, TimesLIVE’s sister newsletter, Sowetan, reported that the Gauteng division of human settlements had urged the instruct attorney to possess eviction orders to accumulate away those that had allocated themselves government-subsidised houses and invaded unoccupied land.