Following an explosion at the ArcelorMittal plant in Vanderbijl Park, the National Union of Metallic Workers has known as for the company’s CEO Kobus Verster to be held criminally and personally liable for the premature loss of life of three employees.
On 17 February 2021, it is alleged that an explosion in the plant introduced on a building to spoil down on top of three employees, who had been later declared ineffective. It is additionally alleged that fellow employees voluntarily labored tough to retrieve the bodies of their deceased colleagues.
Union employees picket delivery air ArcelorMittal plant
On Wednesday 24 February 2021 employees who are members of SAFTU (NUMSA affiliate) had been picketing delivery air the ArcelorMittal plant in Vanderbijl Park to put up a memorandum to the management of the plant.
In an announcement, NUMSA alleged that for years, the management at ArcelorMittal South Africa has prioritised profits over of us and that the management refused for a memorial carrier to be held on its premises. “The memorial carrier will deserve to were on Wednesday, 24 February; on the other hand, the management refused and reneged on its promise. Such is the attitude of AMSA, which proves their entire push aside of our employees.
“We won’t wait on down till AMSA takes the well-known steps to guarantee the health and safety of employees. We won’t wait on down from exposing the management of AMSA for their cruelty and brutality in opposition to employees.”
The union additionally mentioned they won’t rest till AMSA is transformed and till there is justice for the employees and their families.
SOME OF NUMSA DEMANDS
- A health and safety audit must quiet be conducted at some level of all operations of Arcelor Metallic South Africa and that the file must quiet be subjected to public scrutiny.
- AMSA CEO Kobus Verster must quiet be held criminally and personally liable for the premature loss of life of the three employees which is the pronounce accountability of the Accounting authority in terms of the Occupational Health and Security Act.
- The investigation by the Division of Labour to be adopted by an inquiry, because of its seriousness and magnitude.
- The Division of Labour must quiet produce its file into the incident public within 14 days of making findings and that it must litigate on behalf of the families if well-known.
- The inclusion of NUMSA health and safety shop stewards in the investigations, as effectively as in the health and safety audit that must happen in any respect AMSA operations in the country.
NUMSA mentioned they are giving the management 7 days to answer in writing to their demands and for them to offer an organization dedication to enhance the investigation and the inquiry.
Total The South African’s most modern reader peep by 31 March 2021 and salvage R6000 in money. Enter the peep opponents right here.