The past few days had been a doozy for the Raiders. As soon as again (or unruffled?) they find themselves overhauling the team of some of their old enormous free-agent additions and contracts.
Most notably used to be their 2019 offseason in which they went all-in to add a lot of enormous names — none of whom, as of appropriate now, are unruffled on the team.
It used to be the necessary offseason since Gruden had traded Khalil Mack to the Bears for two first-round picks instead of paying him top dollar on an extension.
Gruden used to be requested for the time being about his reasoning behind trading the All-Pro pass rusher following a season in which the Raiders had a league-low 13 sacks.
Gruden’s response used to be to listing off the total avid gamers who the Raiders wouldn’t had been ready to find the money for had they signed Mack instead. Which as of today inadvertently makes the case for paying Mack instead.
Jon Gruden in 2019, talking in regards to the advantages of now not paying Khalil Mack. And the 2 first round picks they obtained for him became RB Josh Jacobs & CB Damon Arnette. pic.twitter.com/U8KFruLodI
— Pete Damilatis (@PeteDamilatis) March 9, 2021
“If we did give you the money to scheme the [Khalil Mack] contract occur closing twelve months, we wouldn’t dangle any of these males we’re talking about now,” said Gruden. “We don’t need Trent Brown, we wouldn’t dangle Antonio Brown, we don’t need Lamarcus Joyner, we wouldn’t dangle Vontaze Burfict, and we wouldn’t dangle Tyrell Williams.”
A fast rundown of the avid gamers Gruden listed:
- Antonio Brown didn’t bid up for camp over a helmet complaint and used to be gash sooner than the season.
- Vontaze Burfict lasted four video games sooner than he used to be suspended for the remaining of the season.
- Tyrell Williams used to be hobbled by injury in 2019, missed your whole 2020 season due to injury, and used to be launched closing week.
- Lamarcus Joyner had a disappointing two years because the team’s nickel nook and used to be officially launched today.
- Trent Brown signed the richest contract ever for an offensive lineman, had points showing up in form and missed 16 video games in his two seasons. He is being traded to the Patriots for a swap of dull-round picks in the 2022 draft.
Khalil Mack used to be named an All-Pro in 2018, has 30 sacks in three years in Chicago and used to be genuine named to his sixth straight Pro Bowl.
With the draft picks, the Raiders chosen RB Josh Jacobs (24 overall), CB Damon Arnette (19 overall), and WR Bryan Edwards (81 overall).
The Bears drafted TE Cole Kmet with the 2d-round buy they obtained in the deal. Whereas the likes of FS Antoine Winfield Jr, WR Dash Claypool, and QB Jalen Hurts were all on the board ought to unruffled the Raiders unruffled had the buy.