Editors, USA TODAY
Printed 3: 55 a.m. ET April 8, 2021 | Updated 3: 57 a.m. ET April 8, 2021
Biden to unveil executive actions to tighten gun restrictions
President Joe Biden is determined to unveil six executive actions aimed toward curbing gun violence on Thursday, following a string of mass shootings that has attach stress on the administration to act upon the president’s long-held campaign promise to form out gun control. The well-known action will pronounce the Division of Justice to propose a rule within 30 days to stop the proliferation of so-referred to as “ghost guns,” or makeshift weapons that might perchance also impartial be constructed at home or that lack a serial number, according to a senior administration unswerving who spoke on the condition of anonymity. Furthermore, administration officials emphasized that the executive actions were “preliminary steps” they’d purchase to take care of gun violence and that officials would work on additional actions within the weeks forward.
- Biden faces tough balancing acton infrastructure as stress builds on immigration, gun control
- Boulder grocery store rampage follows spike in mass shootings throughout 2020
The White House weighs gun security action as the US reels from its second mass taking pictures in a week. “Honest on account of you don’t secure the coverage making, the legislation the main time, it doesn’t mean you quit making an attempt,” press secretary Jen Psaki says. (March 24)
Derek Chauvin murder trial resumes with more witnesses anticipated
Extra witnesses are anticipated to purchase the stand Thursday within the murder trial of old Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin for the dying of George Floyd. Jurors contain heard from 30 witnesses to date, with all of them referred to as by the prosecution. One skilled ask, Sgt. Jody Stiger of the Los Angeles Police Division, testified Wednesday that the continuous stress Chauvin exerted on Floyd “raised the opportunity of dying.” But defense attorney Eric Nelson shifted level of curiosity serve to Floyd’s drug use, suggesting Floyd said the words “I ate too many medication” throughout his fight with police. He played just a few seconds of unintelligible police physique-cam audio for witnesses. One said he might perchance perchance now not contrivance out Floyd’s words, and a range of said he notion Floyd turned into once announcing “I ain’t attain no medication.” Two forensic scientists also said pills repeat within the SUV and police squad automobile Floyd had been in that day contained methamphetamine, a stimulant, and fentanyl, a synthetic opioid. Chauvin is charged with second-stage murder, third-stage murder and second-stage manslaughter in Floyd’s dying in Might 2020.
- ‘Now we contain a responsibility of care’: Prosecutors articulate Derek Chauvin betrayed George Floyd by now not giving him medical abet
- ‘No justice, no streets’: Quiet grieving, Minneapolis residents wonder how metropolis will pass forward after Derek Chauvin trial
- Wednesday’s coverage: Knowledgeable says ‘lethal’ power turned into once outmoded on George Floyd
Louisiana lawmakers ‘taking a watch into subpoena’ for LSU coach Orgeron
Louisiana lawmakers are now not elated that Louisiana Impart University soccer coach Ed Orgeron has chosen now not to appear Thursday sooner than the Senate Acquire out Committee on Females and Young of us to reply questions associated to its probe of sexual misconduct over the years by LSU soccer gamers, and are considering subpoenaing him. Orgeron as a substitute testified in a letter to the committee, which turned into once one of the options he turned into once afforded when it requested his testimony closing week. On the opposite hand, allege representative Aimee Freeman said that since segment of Orgeron’s wage comes from allege taxpayers, him now not sitting in front of a committee investigating his program is wrong. Orgeron is the very finest paid allege employee in Louisiana at $6 million a year after worthwhile the 2019-20 national championship. USA TODAY’s reporting published frequent mishandling of sexual misconduct situations by both the college’s athletic division and its broader administration.
- One other probe: LSU faces second federal investigation into going through of sexual misconduct allegations
- Sequence of proceedings: LSU athletic administrator claims years of harassment and retaliation after reporting Les Miles
- That you are going to have the option to consider of case mishandling: LSU investigates administrator who gave Title IX offenders the lightest conceivable sanctions
SportsPulse: Nancy Armour microscopic print basically the most damning revelations from Husch Blackwell’s investigation into LSU mishandling of sexual misconduct over the last decade.
First spherical of The Masters tees off in Augusta, Georgia
The Masters, the main well-known males’s golf tournament of the year, will start on Thursday. Dustin Johnson is chasing history in his attempt to change into the fourth golfer ever to rating serve-to-serve Masters champion titles. Johnson, the current world No. 1, will serene contain to fend off challengers like Jordan Spieth, Bryson DeChambeau and Justin Thomas to rating the title. One acquainted face will be lacking from the tournament: Five-time Masters champion Tiger Woods, who’s convalescing from more than one leg injuries he sustained in a Feb. 23 automobile smash in Los Angeles. The tournament will start honorary tee photographs of Lee Elder, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player and coverage will start at 8: 30 a.m. ET on CBS.
- Elevate serve the roars: The patrons return to the Masters
- Like a flash turnaround: Dustin Johnson’s Masters title defense comes instant, with more file alternatives
- Forward of Day 1: Five things you wish to know about Thursday’s opening spherical
- The course: Augusta National Golf Membership hole by hole
Sports actions Pulse: How weather conditions might perchance also impartial affect the course
Disney World to amassed down disguise restrictions for photos
Starting Thursday, Disney World’s disguise mandate is updating to enable company to purchase their masks off for photos. Masks are serene required for all company ages 2 and up, even of us who contain obtained a COVID-19 vaccine. Beforehand, company were only allowed to purchase their masks off after they were actively eating or ingesting, but starting up Thursday, visitors will be allowed to purchase them off for outdoors photos as smartly. The Florida theme park reopened with COVID-19 restrictions in July and extra tightened their disguise mandate within the next weeks. Disneyland and Disney California Shuffle Park will start to California residents on April 30 for the main time since shutting down in March 2020.
- Disneyland tickets, reservations processannounced sooner than April 30 reopening
- Man who spent $15,000 on Disney World shuttlearrested after refusing a temperature review
Learn or Fraction this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2021/04/08/joe-bidens-actions-guns-masters-5-things-know-thursday/7062967002/