A cardinal has appeared for the first time in the dock at the Vatican as he stood trial together with nine other defendants on Tuesday over a loss-making property deal in London.
The Vatican courtroom is investigating the role performed by Cardinal Giovanni Angelo Becciu, 73, and others accused in the investment scandal that involved using Church cash to pick out a luxury property in London’s prosperous Chelsea district.
Loads of hundred million euros are said to had been paid for the decide, commissions and affords.
In addition to Becciu, there are also weak Vatican officials, including financial managers and a security handbook.
They face prices including abuse of predicament of business, cash laundering, fraud and embezzlement.
The criminal trial is one of the biggest in the Vatican to this point and the case file spans a complete bunch of pages. Becciu, who became as soon as a deputy in the Vatican Secretariat of Train, is the first cardinal to head on trial at the Vatican.
The Secretariat of Train, the central administrative authority in the Vatican, is acting as joint plaintiff in the trial.
Becciu had defended the investment and said he never acted in any non-public self-interest. In remarks earlier this month, he denied the corruption allegations and said he became as soon as a “victim of a predicament intended to pain” him.
Loads of Vatican and Italian authorities had been investigating the matter since July 2019. In the job, the investigations prolonged to the United Arab Emirates, Britain, Jersey, Luxembourg, Slovenia and Switzerland.
The pass, according to the Holy Glance, follows reforms for more transparency in the Vatican’s finances by Pope Francis.
In 2019, the failed luxury London property deal made headlines as the deal had prompted heavy losses for the Holy Glance at the time.
Adding to the outrage, it became as soon as revealed that the sincere-estate undertaking became as soon as funded, in fragment, though donations from the faithful through the Church’s Peter’s Pence charity.