Editors, USA TODAY
Revealed 3: 44 a.m. ET Feb. 26, 2021 | Updated 4: 13 a.m. ET Feb. 26, 2021
FDA weighing approval of a third COVID-19 vaccine
A proposed modern COVID-19 vaccine from Johnson & Johnson is expected to secure a thumbs-up Friday from a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advisory committee. If the FDA formally grants authorization as anticipated within the following few days the U.S. will dangle three authorized vaccines. Adore the different two, from Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine underwent a monumental medical trial showing its safety and effectiveness. The J&J vaccine differs from the 2 already authorized, on account of only one shot is instructed, as an different of two. In the period in-between, beginning Friday, the COVID-19 vaccine could be readily accessible in purchase out CVS stores in 17 states. The drugstore chain announced Wednesday that it’d be growing its vaccination rollout to pharmacies in six states: Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Louisiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
- J&J vaccine station for FDA advisory committee evaluation. Most up-to-date COVID-19 updates
- FDA preps for future variants: COVID-19 vaccines and exams work correctly, but variants dangle FDA making ready for a future when they could perhaps additionally no longer
- Monitoring COVID-19 vaccine distribution by issue: How many folk were vaccinated within the US?
Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine is ready to be released to the public and there are some immense adjustments you ought to know about.
Defend to listen? Check out the 5 things podcast:
Condo to vote on Biden’s COVID-19 relief invoice
The Condo will vote on President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief equipment Friday. The Democratic-controlled Condo will likely tear the equipment, though this could perhaps additionally face some opposition within the Senate. Republicans dangle united against Biden’s relief equipment, including several reasonable senators who acknowledged the legislation is vulgar and goes beyond its scope. Though Biden had hoped the legislation could well be bipartisan, Democrats on Capitol Hill are alive to to tear it by both chambers by mid-March, when a federal boost to unemployment advantages expires.
- $15 minimal wage develop can no longer tear in COVID relief legislation, Senate official guidelines
- When can I request support?All you need to know concerning the timeline for relief
- We requested American citizens how they’d employ $1,400 stimulus tests. Here’s what they acknowledged
Ex-Olympic coach’s loss of life by suicide adjustments investigation
Police expected former USA Gymnastics coach John Geddert to flip himself in for arraignment on a multitude of prices on Thursday, but are as an different now investigating his loss of life by suicide. The 63-year-conventional is the former owner of the gymnastics club where tons of of girls folk and girls acknowledged serial-molester Larry Nassar sexually abused them – many even acknowledged Geddert knew about it, failed to bewitch action, then lied to police about it. The costs levied against him were 20 counts of human trafficking and forced labor and one count every of first-degree sexual assault, second-degree sexual assault, racketeering and lying to a police officer. Nassar is serving a 175-year prison sentence.
Suicide Lifeline: If you or someone you know could additionally be battling suicidal tips, you can name the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) any time of day or evening or chat online.
- A checkered previous: Gymnasts detail bodily horrors at fingers of former coach John Geddert
- Opinion: In loss of life, former Olympic coach John Geddert once once more causes afflict to the gymnasts he abused
Biden heads to Texas to assess ruin after horrific winter storm
In his first day out as president to a catastrophe zone, President Joe Biden is heading to Texas, one week after the issue turned into ravaged by a winter storm that left millions without electricity and sparkling water for days. Biden, who will employ exceptional of his time accompanied by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, is bringing first woman Jill Biden with him to Houston with plans to meet with local leaders to focus on the storm, relief efforts and restoration. A tear to to a COVID-19 medical institution where vaccines are being dispensed will more than likely be on the agenda. At least 4.3 million Texans lost electricity last week for the duration of the winter storm, and millions more lost water or were beneath a boil advisory. Texas is no longer section of the national energy grid, and as an different has its possess electrical grid that covers near to your total issue. Their grid is operated by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which has arrive beneath fire for the outages. Biden has authorized a serious catastrophe declaration for over 100 counties within the issue.
- Iciness storm blackouts plagued Texas in 2011, too.Recommendations made later on went unenforced
- ‘An electrical island’: Texas has dodged federal regulation for years by having its possess energy grid
- Texas’ winter storm could additionally construct existence worse for Dim and Latino households hit onerous by energy outages
- Texas vitality: ERCOT is accountable of Texas’ energy, but one-third of its board lives out of issue
- Fact compare: Traditional photos of dogs in snow accompany erroneous claim that pets iced up in Amarillo, Texas
Moonlight, feels appropriate? It be time for this year’s snow moon
A snow moon — so referred to as on account of of February’s generally heavy snowfalls — rises within the east around nightfall Friday on its plan to environment early Saturday morning within the west. Every elephantine moon has its possess name. This comes from the tradition of folks around the sector by millennia naming months after nature’s cues. In accordance to the Traditional Farmer’s Almanac, elephantine moon names in our section of the sector date befriend to Native American citizens who lived within the northern and eastern U.S.
- Here’s a search at the ideal and brightest elephantine moon of 2020
The evening sky lights up to tag the stop of February with the upward thrust of the Snow Moon on Feb. 26.
Learn or Section this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/information/2021/02/26/johnson-johnson-vaccine-covid-19-relief-invoice-snow-moon-5-things-know-friday/4535047001/