Home South Africa Gunmen kidnap more than 300 schoolgirls in increasingly lawless northwest Nigeria

Gunmen kidnap more than 300 schoolgirls in increasingly lawless northwest Nigeria

46
0
Gunmen kidnap more than 300 schoolgirls in increasingly lawless northwest Nigeria
Many had been stumbled on or rescued by the army, or freed years later after negotiations between the government and Boko Haram finally resulted in a hefty ransom, according to sources.

Portray: Instances Media

Gunmen seized more than 300 ladies in a nighttime raid on a school in northwest Nigeria on Friday and are believed to be holding some of them in a wooded space, police said.

It turned into as soon as the 2nd such kidnapping in exiguous over per week in a mumble increasingly centered by militants and criminal gangs. There turned into as soon as no immediate claim of accountability.

Early Newspaper

Police in Zamfara mumble said they’d begun search-and-rescue operations with the army to find the “armed bandits” who took the 317 ladies from the Government Girls Science Secondary College in the town of Jangebe.

“There’s information that they had been moved to a neighbouring wooded space, and we’re tracing and exercising warning and care,” Zamfara police commissioner Abutu Yaro informed a information convention.

He didn’t reveal whether these presumably moved to the wooded space included all of them.

Zamfara’s information commissioner, Sulaiman Tanau Anka, informed Reuters the assailants stormed in firing sporadically during the 1 a.m. raid.

“Information on hand to me said they came with autos and moved the college students, they moreover moved some on foot,” he said.

College kidnappings had been first conducted by jihadist groups Boko Haram and Islamic Verbalize West Africa Province but the method has now been adopted by other militants in the northwest whose agenda is unclear.

They’ve become endemic around the increasingly lawless north, to the pains of households and frustration of Nigeria’s government and army. Friday’s turned into as soon as the third such incident since December.

The upward thrust in abductions is fuelled in half by sizeable government payoffs in swap for baby hostages, catalysing a broader breakdown of safety in the north, officers have said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The federal government denies making such payouts.

RAGE AND FRUSTRATION

Jangebe town seethed with nettle over the kidnapping, said a government professional who turned into as soon as half of the delegation to the neighborhood.

Young males hurled rocks at journalists driving thru the town, injuring a cameraman, the professional said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“The sigh at Jangebe neighborhood is worrying as people mobilised to dam safety operatives, journalists and government officers from getting accumulate admission to to the main town,” he said.

Of us moreover had no faith in authorities to near their kidnapped ladies, said Mohammed Usman Jangebe, the father of one abductee, by cell phone.

“We are going to rescue our young people, since the government isn’t ready to supply them protection,” he said.

“All of us that have had our young people abducted have agreed to notice them into to the wooded space. We is no longer going to listen to any individual now till we rescue our young people,” Jangebe said, earlier than ending the name.

MILITARY SHAKEUP

President Muhammadu Buhari replaced his long-standing army chiefs earlier this month amid the worsening violence.

Final week, unidentified gunmen kidnapped 42 people including 27 college students, and killed one pupil, in an in a single day assault on a boarding faculty in the north-central mumble of Niger.

The hostages are yet to be launched.

In December, dozens of gunmen abducted 344 schoolboys from the town of Kankara in northwest Katsina mumble. They had been freed after six days but the government denied a ransom had been paid.

Islamic Verbalize’s West Africa branch in 2018 kidnapped more than 100 schoolgirls from the town of Dapchi in northeast Nigeria, all but one in every of whom – the entirely Christian – had been launched.

A ransom turned into as soon as paid, according to the United Nations.

Presumably presumably the most notorious kidnapping in present years turned into as soon as when Boko Haram militants abducted 276 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok in Borno mumble in April 2014. The incident drew standard world attention, with then U.S. first girl Michelle Obama amongst the prominent figures calling for his or her return.

Many had been stumbled on or rescued by the army, or freed years later after negotiations between the government and Boko Haram finally resulted in a hefty ransom, according to sources.

But 100 are tranquil missing, both remaining with Boko Haram or ineffective, safety officers reveal.

Ikemesit Effiong, head of learn at Lagos-based menace consultancy SBM Intelligence, said many northern governors had been alive to to pay to lead definite of protracted hostage scenarios attracting international outrage, which in flip gave an incentive for more abductions.

“At the same time as you may perhaps additionally have these mass abductions now and likewise you find out about victims are launched comparatively speedy, in inequity to Chibok, the one thing that has modified is cash,” Effiong said.

Reuters

BY HAMZA IBRAHIM, ARDO HAZZAD AND ALEXIS AKWAGYIRAM

Supply:
Gunmen kidnap more than 300 schoolgirls in increasingly lawless northwest Nigeria

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here