Home Enterprise Tech Hasselblad X1D II 50C: out of the studio and into the streets

Hasselblad X1D II 50C: out of the studio and into the streets

103
0
Hasselblad X1D II 50C: out of the studio and into the streets

We crawled into an abandoned college bus, trespassed through aged hallways, dodged fleeting thunderstorms, and wandered the empty streets of Chinatown dead into the evening. For 2 summery weeks, I couldn’t have been happier.

Unusual York Metropolis was in lockdown. I’d been quarantined in my tiny dwelling, disheartened and stressed out. I was anxious to elevate out one thing ingenious. Happily, the Hasselblad X1D II 50C arrived for evaluate, together with approval from the studio heads for socially-distanced, outdoor shoots.

Early Newspaper

Taking pictures of the mundane (flowers, buildings, and such) would’ve been a disservice to a $10,000 digicam equipment, so as a replace, my chums and I collaborated on a relaxing, minute challenge: we shot portraits inspired by our popular films.

Hasselblad X1D II shotlist

Image Credits: Veanne Cao

Geared up with masks and a bottle of hand sanitizer, we put the X1D II 50C and 80mm F/1.9 lens (ideal for close-usawithout undoubtedly having to be close up) through its paces in some of NYC’s much less acquainted backdrops.

Earlier than I bag into any distress for the final photo – Alex and Jason are professional stuntmen and that’s a rubber prop gun. They had been reenacting the penultimate scene from Infernal Affairs – a truthful part of Hong Kong cinema (critically better than the Scorsese remake).

Whereas the digicam is slightly extra approachable in phrases of mark and ease of employ with a number of upgrades (larger, extra responsive rear display, a cleaned-up menu, tethering capabilities, sooner startup time and shutter release), the X1D II is in actuality the identical as its predecessor. So I skipped the standard evaluate. Hasselblad X1D II 50C Hasselblad X1D II 50C

Image Credits: Veanne Cao

What it’s a ways, what it isn’t

The most traditional complaint about the X1D was its dead autofocus, dead shutter release and instant battery lifestyles. The X1D II improved on these aspects, although now not by extraordinary. Rather than seeing the lope as a hindrance, I was compelled to dead down and re-wire my mind for a extra thoughtful taking pictures model (a pleasant aspect enact).

As I mentioned in my X1D evaluate, Apple and other smartphone producers have made taking pictures colossal pictures effortless. As such, the accessibility has created a conference of excessively shooting everyday banalities. You shoot a ways larger than you’ll ever need. It’s one thing I’m responsible of. Somewhat obvious 90% of the pictures on my iPhone digicam roll are throwaways. (The other 10% are of my canines and he’s spectacularly photogenic.)

The X1D II, nonetheless, is now not an effortless digicam. It’s disturbing now and again. In the event you’re a beginner, you can deserve to learn the fundamentals (ISO, f-stops, when to click on the shutter), nevertheless the payoff is worth it. There’s an overwhelming sense of gratification must you bag that one shot. And at 50 megapixels, it’s packed with particulars and mighty of inserting to your wall. Shelling out a ton of money for the X1D II received’t straight away make you a higher photographer, nevertheless it should support you to turn into one.

Without the contrived studio lights and build of dwelling create, our outdoor shoots grew to turn into an exercise in improvisation:   we wandered through the boroughs finding practicals (boulevard lights, neon lights… the sun), discovering locations, and switching spots when things didn’t pan out.

We explored, we had motive.

My takeaway from the two weeks with this digicam:  cease and be predominant to your actions.

Reviewed equipment runs $10,595, pre-taxed:

Hasselblad X1D II 50C Mirrorless Camera – $5,750

Hasselblad 80mm F/1.9 XCD Lens – $4,845

Source:
Hasselblad X1D II 50C: out of the studio and into the streets