Josh Vitale, Nashville Tennessean
Published 11: 39 a.m. ET June 19, 2021
The driving power for any coach in college baseball is the likelihood to steer his crew to Omaha, Nebraska, for the School World Series.
However the money would no longer peril.
The eight coaches who will man the dugouts at TD Ameritrade Park starting Saturday manufacture an proper little bit of it, albeit less than they would hold sooner than the COVID-19 pandemic, as extra than half took pay reductions this year.
Terms of Corbin’s contract moreover are no longer topic to public info guidelines, but with bonuses he earned extra than $1.4 million in 2019, in accordance with the college’s most up-to-date federal tax returns. His contaminated salary become $1.2 million that year.
Arizona’s Jay Johnson is the 2nd-perfect paid coach at moderately extra than $855,000. Virginia’s Brian O’Connor is third at moderately extra than $765,000, but he earned a further $500,000 on June 1 as a longevity bonus written into his contract (he has led the Cavaliers since 2004).
Mississippi Bid coach Chris Lemonis is the fourth-perfect paid at $750,000, which is $150,000 extra than he earned when he led the Bulldogs to Omaha in 2019. Texas coach David Pierce’s contract requires him to be paid extra than that ($850,000), but his contract become reduced by merely about $120,000 this year which capacity of COVID-19. That good purchase will seemingly be paid inspire sooner than the expiration of his contract.
The diversified coaches who took pay reductions this year hold been Johnson, O’Connor, Tennessee’s Tony Vitello, and N.C. Bid’s Elliott Avent, though Avent precipitated an computerized one-year contract extension for main the Wolfpack to the NCAA Match.
Here’s a breakdown of each coach’s scheduled annual compensation, which would no longer consist of bonuses or the cost of benefits and perks:
Total scheduled annual compensation of coaches at School World Series
- Vanderbilt’s Tim Corbin: $1.2 million (this become Corbin’s contaminated salary for 2019 calendar year, in accordance with the college’s most up-to-date federal tax info. Steady terms of his contract are no longer known.)
- Arizona’s Jay Johnson: $856,687 (after 20% COVID-19 pay good purchase in end from Aug. 10, 2020 through Dec. 27, 2020. Involves $302,300 as cost of coach’s annual vesting in longevity fund gadgets held by the College of Arizona Foundation on behalf of the university’s athletics department, as effectively as $65,000 paid from agreement with Nike.)
- Virginia’s Brian O’Connor: $765,530 (after 10% COVID-19good purchase in scheduled pay for most unusual contract year in end from July 1, 2020 through Dec. 24, 2020. Does no longer consist of cash university is obligated to pay from agreement with Rawlings. He moreover earned a longevity bonus of $500,000 for staying on as coach from June 15, 2016, to June 1 of this year.)
- Mississippi Bid’s Chris Lemonis: $750,000
- Texas’s David Pierce: $731,250 (after good purchase of $118,750 which capacity of COVID-19)
- Tennessee’s Tony Vitello: $550,000 (after good purchase of $50,000 which capacity of COVID-19)
- N.C. Bid’s Elliott Avent: $434,833.33 (after good purchase of $65,166.67 which capacity of COVID-19)
- Stanford’s David Esquer: N/A (Stanford is a private college and which capacity of this fact no longer topic to public info guidelines. Esquer’s salary would no longer injurious among the many discontinue five on the university, which formulation it would no longer appear on the college’s federal tax info.)
Supply: Paperwork and knowledge got from the colleges by USA TODAY.
Steve Berkowitz contributed reporting for this sage.
Josh Vitale is the Auburn beat author for the 1st viscount montgomery of alamein Advertiser. Possibilities are you’ll per chance per chance apply him on Twitter at @JoshVitale. To reach him by electronic mail, click on here.