The House handed its $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill early Saturday, sending the giant proposal to the Senate as Democrats flee to approve extra attend sooner than unemployment capabilities expire.
It is the most vital most vital legislative initiative for President Joe Biden. The House accredited it in a 219-212 largely social gathering line vote, as two Democrats joined all Republicans in opposing it.
Senators will open up desirous about the pandemic help conception subsequent week. Lawmakers will provide amendments, and the chamber will seemingly hasten a particular model of the bill, that manner the House would non-public to hasten the Senate’s conception or the chambers would non-public to craft a final proposal in a conference committee.
Democrats, who withhold narrow majorities in the House and Senate, opted to approve the laws by myself thru funds reconciliation quite than hammer out a smaller attend package deal with Republicans. The technique enables a bill to hasten with a easy majority in the Senate.
The House conception involves:
- Payments of $1,400 to most contributors, along with the identical amount for every dependent. Assessments open up to phase out at $75,000 in earnings and hasten to zero for contributors making $100,000
- A $400 per week unemployment supplement thru Aug. 29, along with an extension of capabilities making tens of millions extra contributors eligible for jobless benefits
- An expansion of the little one tax credit to give families up to $3,600 per little one over a year
- $20 billion for Covid-19 vaccine distribution and $50 billion for testing and tracing efforts
- $350 billion in boom, local and tribal government relief
- $25 billion for help in preserving rent payments
- $170 billion for K-12 colleges and bigger education institutions to camouflage reopening charges and attend to students
- A $15 per hour federal minimum wage, which the Senate parliamentarian will not enable in the reconciliation bill on the many facet of the Capitol
Democrats non-public called the bill vital to flee up vaccinations — a critical step to resuming some stage of pre-pandemic life — and retain households at a time when roughly 19 million contributors are receiving jobless benefits.
“The time for decisive circulate is prolonged overdue,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., acknowledged Friday night sooner than the vote. “President Biden’s American Rescue Idea is that decisive circulate.”
Republicans questioned the necessity for a proposal so huge, criticizing in particular the scope of the command payments, boom and native government benefit and college funding. Earlier Friday, House Minority Chief Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., contended the laws “shouldn’t be a relief bill” and “fails to affirm for American families.”
The Biden administration and Democratic leaders in Congress acknowledged the country faces an even bigger possibility of doing too little than injecting too critical money into the response. Some economists non-public also questioned the size of the bill.
Senate Democrats face extra challenges in passing the laws than the House did. While the social gathering can approve the bill on its fetch, it will want every Democrat to benefit it in the Senate, which is split 50-50.
Democrats also non-public to deem how to proceed on minimum-wage policy without losing any benefit. After the Senate parliamentarian dominated the bill would perchance additionally not encompass a $15 pay ground below reconciliation rules, Senate Majority Chief Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Sens. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., and Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., non-public hunted for a workaround to impose a tax penalty on huge corporations that produce not pay workers at least $15 an hour.
It is unclear if the proposal would comply with the Senate’s funds restrictions.
Vice President Kamala Harris also seems keep in opposition to attempting to overrule parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough, which some progressives non-public urged she ought to produce.
Pelosi acknowledged earlier Friday that she believes the House will “fully” hasten the relief bill if it comes attend from the Senate without a minimum-wage lengthen in it. She told reporters that Democrats will strive to hasten the pay lengthen thru a separate conception if wished.
“We cannot leisure until we hasten the $15 minimum wage,” she acknowledged.
This story is increasing. Please take a look at attend for updates.