Eleven days after the death of his head coach and mentor Saul Soliz, Martinez (8-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will construct his first plod to the promotion’s cage when he takes on Guido Cannetti (8-5 MMA, 2-4 UFC) on the preliminary card Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.
The debut comes one week later and with a a selection of opponent than used to be at first expected. At the delivery booked to compete at UFC on ESPN 29 this past Saturday, Martinez used to be met with a pair of layers of unexpected adversity days out from the match.
After COVID-19 protocols deemed him ineligible for the Aug. 21 bout, Martinez misplaced his head coach to the virus, which claimed Soliz’s life at age 55.
Martinez, 25, considered withdrawing from the bout, he lately told MMA Junkie. Nonetheless, as a replace, he has determined to plug forth with the fight as it’s what his coach would’ve wanted. Martinez will dedicate the performance to the memory of Soliz. He enters the fight on a two-fight winning walk together with a contract-earning performance on “Dana White: Lookin’ for a Fight.”
Cannetti, 41, will seek for to turn his luck around after a two-fight skid.
The updated UFC on ESPN 30 lineup includes:
- Edson Barboza vs. Giga Chikadze
- Bryan Battle vs. Gilbert Urbina
- Brady Hiestand vs. Ricky Turcios
- Kevin Lee vs. Daniel Rodriguez
- Michael Gillmore vs. Andre Petroski
- Gerald Meerschaert vs. Makhmud Muradov
- Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Alessio Di Chirico
- Sam Alvey vs. Wellington Turman
- Dustin Jacoby vs. Darren Stewart
- JJ Aldrich vs. Vanessa Demopoulos
- Jamall Emmers vs. Pat Sabatini
- Guido Cannetti vs. Mana Martinez