Publication house Independent Media on Wednesday launched a scathing assault on Gauteng health officials, accusing them of a “duvet up of ample proportions” in the ongoing saga of the “Thembisa 10” infants.
Closing Tuesday Pretoria News editor Piet Rampedi reported that Gosiame Sithole had given birth to the decuplets at an unnamed Pretoria scientific institution. Nonetheless, save a question to marks were raised nearly instantly after govt agencies, including the health department, mentioned they would possibly possibly find no document of the infants being born at any of the province’s hospitals.
The doubts continued when, on Tuesday this week, the household of Teboho Tsotetsi, the father of the formative years, mentioned they did no longer deem the infants were born “except proven otherwise”.
The SA National Editors’ Dialogue board (Sanef) changed into once scathing about the reporting on the saga, saying: “This entire episode ranks as one of the lowest points in the history of SA journalism.”
Nonetheless, Independent Media doubled-down on Wednesday, saying it stood by the tales printed in their print and online titles. This after it initiated a “deepest investigation” into the saga.
“Instead of being a position off for occasion, it has resulted in an orchestrated marketing campaign to discredit the account, the mother of the decuplets Ms Sithole, the Pretoria News’ editor Piet Rampedi, in addition to Independent Media and its chairperson Dr Iqbal Survé, with claims the account is ‘unsuitable news’. It is no longer at all times and we stand by our account,” Independent Media mentioned on Wednesday.
According to the media house, its investigation established the following:
- Gosiame Thamara Sithole changed into once admitted to Steve Biko Academic Sanatorium on June 7 2021.
- She changed into once admitted unhurried in the morning and introduced to the maternity ward.
- At 6pm or thereabouts, four scientific doctors and two nurses attended to Sithole.
- Sithole gave birth to five infants by the use of vaginal shipping. Medical doctors then proceeded to find a Caesarian piece and delivered the remaining five infants.
- Independent Media can confirm Sithole changed into once at Steve Biko Academic Sanatorium from June 7 to June 11.
- Independent Media can confirm Sithole changed into once transferred to the lodgers’ piece on Thursday. She changed into once no longer supplied with meals in addition to for for bread and tea in the mornings. She changed into once supplied and not using a scientific or psychological assistance.
“This information is corroborated by a number of independent sources, including crew at Steve Biko Academic Sanatorium,” the media organisation mentioned, adding it would contemporary its proof and information to law enforcement officials if requested to find so.
It also claimed Sithole changed into once no longer supplied with ample care, and known as on the provincial health department to initiate an investigation into the Steve Biko scientific institution, and into statements made by officials denying the births came about.
“We unwaveringly stand by Piet Rampedi and we stand by our account,” Independent Media mentioned.
Independent Media accuses health department of ‘duvet up’ in case of the ‘Thembisa 10’