By Nolan King |
February 1, 2021 12: 35 pm
One week in the past, Justin Jaynes didn’t have a fight on the books. Now, he’s fighting Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.
After Alex da Silva withdrew from UFC Fight Night time 184 due to undisclosed causes, Jaynes (16-6 MMA, 1-2 UFC) used to be offered the initiate light-weight slot against Devonte Smith (10-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC), which he since authorized.
Two individuals with information of the matchup informed MMA Junkie of the booking Monday however requested to remain nameless as the promotion has yet to make an official announcement.
Jaynes made his promotional debut in June 2020 when he knocked out Frank Camacho in 41 seconds. Following his emphatic first influence, Jaynes has misplaced inspire-to-inspire outings vs. Gavin Tucker and Gabriel Benitez. Both losses got right here inside the distance.
Smith has no longer competed since a knockout loss to Khama Indispensable at UFC 241 in August 2019. After the fight, Smith tore his Achilles tendon, which required surgical treatment and months of rehabilitation.
With the alternate, the UFC Fight Night time 184 lineup includes:
MAIN CARD (ESPN+, 8 p.m. ET)
- Alistair Overeem vs. Alexander Volkov
- Frankie Edgar vs. Cory Sandhagen
- Macy Chiasson vs. Marion Reneau
- Manel Kape vs. Alexandre Pantoja
- Andre Ewell vs. Cody Stamann
- Beneil Dariush vs. Diego Ferreira
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 5 p.m. ET)
- Clay Guida vs. Michael Johnson
- Danilo Marques vs. Mike Rodriguez
- Martin Day vs. Timur Valiev
- Justin Jaynes vs. Devonte Smith
- Joselyne Edwards vs. Karol Rosa
- Molly McCann vs. Lara Procopio
- Seungwoo Choi vs. Youssef Zalal
- Denys Bondar vs. Ode Osbourne