The New England Revolution is conveniently pacing the complete thing of MLS now and for the foreseeable future.
It’s easy to survey at the 10-point hole between New England and the Seattle Sounders, and tune out the Supporters’ Defend race. It’s even more uncomplicated to flip the page on any whine of affairs for the live place in the Jap Convention, nevertheless there’s a staunch jockeying act taking space in the West as MLS turns for the final third of the unique season.
The highest four Western Convention sides are separated by simply six points, with the Sounders (12-4-6, 42 points) out in front. Then again, the Colorado Rapids (12-4-5, 41 points) are only a point befriend and be pleased a game in-hand on Seattle. Sporting Kansas City (11-5-7) is exclusively a point befriend of the Rapids, too.
The various top contender in the West is the Los Angeles Galaxy, which is on 36 points thru its 11-8-3 file. Minnesota United (31 points), Portland Timbers (30 points) and Accurate Salt Lake (30 points) seem to affect a kind of 2d-tier amongst the clubs currently holding playoff spots in the West, nevertheless Vancouver (29 points) and Los Angeles FC (27 points) are conclude behind.
Don’t sleep on the West’s best as we careen toward Decision Day on Nov. 7.
Right here is what you like to clutch for the weekend in MLS:
MLS game of the week
Colorado Rapids vs. Los Angeles Galaxy (Saturday, 3: 30 p.m. ET on Univision/TUDN and Twitter): The wave is turning up in Colorado. Since a 1-0 boulevard win on July 31 against Austin FC, the Rapids be pleased gone seven fits unbeaten, including a 2-1 victory over the Galaxy on the boulevard closing month. The Galaxy, nonetheless, be pleased been without huge name heart ahead Javier “Chicharito” Hernández (calf) in that match. Colorado forwards Jonathan Lewis and Andre Shinyashiki scored. Midseason additions treasure Worth-Anthony Kaye and Dominique Badji be pleased made their presence felt, bolstering a Rapids assault that needs no longer grand of the ball to find success in front of honest. The Galaxy could be without Hernández again Saturday, nevertheless are coming off of a 3-3 thriller in the El Tráfico derby against LAFC.
MLS player to explore
Jeremy Ebobisse, San Jose Earthquakes: August changed into once a month of transition and adjustment for Ebobisse. The vulnerable Portland Timbers ahead changed into once without warning traded to the San Jose Earthquakes on Aug. 4 for almost $1.2 million in overall allocation money. He’s since scored his first honest for the Quakes in their 2-1 win over the LA Galaxy on Aug. 20. Ebobisse could befriend a Quakes aspect who be pleased scored the 2d-least quantity of targets in the Western Convention this season (24).
By the numbers
20: With a win over the San Jose Earthquakes closing week, the Colorado Rapids are 6-3-2 (20 points) on the boulevard this season, continuing closing season’s boulevard success and taking it to 1 other stage. In 2018 and 2019 combined, the Rapids had simply 26 boulevard points. The closing time the Rapids obtained six video games on the boulevard changed into once 2011.
MLS information and notes
MLS playoff game on Thanksgiving Day: In addition to the unique heaping helping of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and American soccer on Thanksgiving Day, MLS will withhold certainly one of its playoff video games on the vacation this yr. This could be the main time ever that an MLS game will be performed on Thanksgiving Day. The league announced its 2021 playoff time table on Thursday, with the 14-team playoff starting with the main spherical being held Nov. 20-23. The conference semifinals – including the Thanksgiving game – will be held Nov. 25-30. The conference finals are slated for Dec. 4-5. MLS Cup will be performed on Dec. 11.
FC Dallas wunderkind bails out USMNT: Facing a abominable inaugurate to its marketing campaign to qualify for the 2022 World Cup, the U.S. males’s national team got a massive increase from its youngest player. Making his first USMNT appearance and inaugurate, the 18-yr-outmoded Ricardo Pepi – who performs professionally for FC Dallas – scored the traipse-ahead honest and added an befriend in the US’ huge 4-1 win over Honduras on Wednesday night. The victory salvaged this predominant window of qualifiers for the U.S., which tied in its first two video games.
New England will get increase from Carles Gil return: One in every of the scariest things in regards to the rampant season the New England Revolution are putting together is that Carles Gil, a bona fide MVP candidate earlier this season, passed over the club’s August fits with a sports hernia injury (and New England supporters be pleased been rightfully hastily to point this out). New England scarcely passed over a beat in August and remains 10 points a ways flung from Seattle Sounders in the race for the Supporters Defend, the unique-season title in MLS. Now, the Revolution be pleased their huge name playmaker befriend. After no longer making an appearance for the Revs since July 31, Gil returned to the lineup closing weekend and went 24 minutes off the bench in a 1-0 victory against the Philadelphia Union. Whilst Gil failed to play for New England all the best plot thru August, his MVP candidacy is peaceable intact. He remains the runaway league chief in assists (15), as smartly as in key passes (75). Oh, and New England is 14 points a ways flung from Orlando City SC in the Jap Convention on a 16-4-4 file.
Revolution’s fling of one-honest wins: The Revolution are MLS front-runners, and are doing so with a statistical anomaly. Of their 16 wins to this point this season, 13 be pleased advance by a single honest. That total already fits a single-season league file, tying the 2013 San Jose Earthquakes, 2016 Colorado Rapids and 2006 FC Dallas.
Revs’ Adam Buksa delivers for Poland: In MLS play this season, Buksa has scored 10 targets for the league-leading Revolution. He took that production to 1 other stage in Poland’s three World Cup qualifiers over the closing week. Twice starting up top alongside Bayern Munich’s honest-scoring maestro Robert Lewandowski, Buksa had four targets for Poland, including a hat trick against San Marino.
Pivotal stretch for LAFC: Los Angeles FC – a preseason MLS Cup popular – has had a disappointing 2021 season, and currently sits three points birth air of the Western Convention’s seventh and final playoff place. That place is currently occupied by Accurate Salt Lake, who LAFC hosts on Sunday. Before the month is over, LAFC could be pleased performed the Portland Timbers – who’re also three points ahead – twice. Included in the following five video games are boulevard journeys against two groups sitting birth air of the playoff image: Austin FC and the San Jose Earthquakes. A in all probability season-saving stretch of video games concludes with the renewal of the El Tráfico opponents against the LA Galaxy on Oct. 3 in Carson, California.
Philadelphia Union eyeing Concacaf Champions League turnaround: By the time you be taught next week’s edition of the MLS notebook, the closing MLS club alive in Concacaf Champions League circulation – the Philadelphia Union – will know if they’re advancing to the final of the opponents. The Union on Sept. 15 (9 p.m. ET) will survey to turnaround a 2-0 deficit against Club The US at Subaru Park in the 2d leg of the semifinal spherical. In a shiny pre-match information conference in which Union head coach Jim Curtin likened Club América supporters to Dallas Cowboys followers. Curtin also acknowledged, “now we must be aggressive very early in the sport, secure that first honest, after which from there, anything can happen.” Philadelphia has no match this coming weekend and ought to peaceable enter the semifinal 2d leg with 12 days of relaxation and preparation.
Valentin Castellanos named MLS player of the month for August: New York City FC is gaining momentum in the Jap Convention and plenty of the club’s recent success can be attributed to Valentin Castellanos, who changed into once named Participant of the Month for August in MLS. Castellanos scored four targets and notched two assists in August, and changed into once involved in all of NYCFC’s rankings closing month. NYCFC finished August with a 2-0-2 file, and currently take a seat fourth in the East on a 10-7-4 overall file. It would peaceable be famed NYCFC lost its newest match in a 3-1 defeat against Nashville SC. The game changed into once performed Sept. 3 nevertheless Castellanos scored again, knocking home a comfort honest in the 90th minute of the sport.
MLS Disciplinary Committee points fines to Moralez, McCarty in NYCFC-Nashville match: Speaking of that NYCFC-Nashville match, that game highlighted the MLS Disciplinary Committee’s weekly evaluate of officiating choices as two fines be pleased been levied for a leisurely-first half of fracas at Nissan Stadium. Heart referee Timothy Ford showed Dax McCarty and Maxi Moralez straight red playing cards after a care for involving the aforementioned avid gamers resulted in an gruesome incident in which various avid gamers entered the discipline from the bench condo. McCarty, whose allure of the red card changed into once denied, and Moralez be pleased been each fined by the committee.
MLS rankings: High 10 energy ballot
1. New England Revolution: The Revs (52 points with 10 video games left to play) are within striking distance of the league file for most points in a season (71), space by Los Angeles FC in 2019.
2. Seattle Sounders: Seattle has a gargantuan week sooner than it. After facing a tricky Minnesota United team on Saturday, the Sounders host Santos Laguna in a Leagues Cup semifinal on Tuesday.
3. Sporting Kansas City: SKC will try to secure befriend in the win column Saturday at home against Chicago Fire FC after being on the gruesome finish of a stunning 4-0 drubbing to an LAFC team that changed into once playing a number of backups.
4. Colorado Rapids: The surprise team of the 2021 MLS season finally will get its national TV showcase Saturday when it hosts the LA Galaxy.
5. Nashville SC: After a press release win over New York City FC closing week, Nashville travels north of the border to play a CF Montreal team that is riding a four-game undefeated trot.
6. Orlando City SC: Orlando has vaulted into a tie for 2d space – with Nashville SC – in the Jap Convention because of a seven-game unbeaten fling, which the team will placed on the line against Atlanta United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Friday night.
7. New York City FC: NYCFC will survey to rebound from closing week’s humbling 3-1 defeat to Nashville SC, nevertheless secure a tricky boulevard project against the leaders in the Supporters’ Defend race, the New England Revolution.
8. Los Angeles Galaxy: The Galaxy return after per week off to play a red-hot Rapids team that has gone seven straight and not using a loss, including five wins in that span.
9. Minnesota United: Minnesota and Seattle – the 2020 Western Convention finalists – are meeting for the third time this season, with the dwelling team winning the old two. The situation for Saturday’s showdown? Seattle’s Lumen Area.
10. Philadelphia Union: The Union will get the weekend off sooner than their Concacaf Champions League semifinal Leg 2 matchup with Club América at Subaru Park on Wednesday. The Union enter the sport down 2-0 on combination.
Others receiving votes: DC United, Club de Foot Montréal
USA TODAY Sports activities Network MLS top 10 energy pollvoters: Pat Brennan, Cincinnati Enquirer; Drake Hills, The Tennessean; Jacob Myers, The Columbus Dispatch; Jim Reineking, USA TODAY.
MLS time table: What are this weekend’s video games?
- Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC, 7 p.m. ET (FS1)
- Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Portland Timbers, 10 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
- Colorado Rapids vs. Los Angeles Galaxy, 3: 30 p.m. ET (Univision/TUDN, Twitter)
- Seattle Sounders vs. Minnesota United, 5 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
- New England Revolution vs. New York City FC, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
- New York Crimson Bulls vs. DC United, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
- FC Cincinnati vs. Toronto FC, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
- Inter Miami CF vs. Columbus Crew, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
- CF Montreal vs. Nashville SC, 8 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
- FC Dallas vs. San Jose Earthquakes, 8: 30 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
- Houston Dynamo vs. Austin FC, 8: 30 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Chicago Fire FC, 8: 30 p.m. ET (ESPN+)
- Los Angeles FC vs. Accurate Salt Lake, 10: 30 p.m. ET (ESPN+)