Home Canada Opposition blasts Ford for allowing Ontario to begin reopening, warns province is...

Opposition blasts Ford for allowing Ontario to begin reopening, warns province is ‘transitioning into a disaster’

75
0
Opposition blasts Ford for allowing Ontario to begin reopening, warns province is ‘transitioning into a disaster’

TORONTO —
NDP Leader Andrea Horwath has blasted Premier Doug Ford over the government’s plan to reopen the province as consultants warn it may spark a third wave of COVID-19 that will lead to yet another lockdown.

Horwath pressed Ford about why the government is selecting to reopen the economic system for the duration of Interrogate Length on Tuesday at Queen’s Park.

Early Newspaper

The comments arrive on the same day that 27 Ontario areas transitioned into the coloration-coded reopening framework, which allows for some non-essential companies to begin operating again.

“The premier is simply refusing to listen to the advice of consultants, even supposing he claims the reverse,” Horwath said. “The premier is risking the spread of the COVID-19 virus, more deaths, more industry closures, additional lockdowns, because he is refusing to listen to the advice of consultants and he is reopening too rapidly.”

Ford has continually defended the government’s plan to restart the economic system, saying that Ontario is no longer reopening and that this is easiest a transition duration.

“We’re making the transition slowly,” Ford said. “By no means are we re-opening issues up wide originate appreciate we did back in September. We’re going to be cautious.”

Horwath said she does not agree Ontario ought to be opening at all and added that Ford’s plan is about “transitioning into a disaster.”

“My question is, when the premier is receiving warnings from the Ontario Medical Association, from health consultants, that are crystal clear that they oppose this reopening, why is the premier ignoring them?”

Over the past week, infectious disease consultants have warned that with Ontario college students returning to in-individual learning and some non-essential companies now reopening, the province can be headed toward a third wave of COVID-19 by April.

“I assume it be a small bit dangerous rather frankly to be reopening faculties and reopening companies at any capacity,” infectious disease specialist Dr. Abdu Sharkawy told CTV News on Monday. “I lawful assume we wish to wait a small longer.”

Andrea horwath

Colin Furness, an knowledgeable in infectiousdisease epidemiology from the College of Toronto, said last week that he believes reopening when the great-contagious COVID-19 variants are spreading will lead to an unpleasant third wave of the disease.

“I am really nervous about reopening within the heart of winter,” Furness said.

Furness pointed to the deadly COVID-19 outbreak at Roberta Place, a retirement home in Barrie, Ont., the place the B.1.1.7 variant spread rapidly thru the facility, as proof of how dangerous the strain can be.

Health officials confirmed that the variant played a impartial in how rapidly the disease spread between staff and residents, which ultimately lead to the deaths of at least 69 folks.

“For these who also gawk at what happened in Ireland, the U.Okay., the curves are prettyclear,” Furness said. “What gave the affect safe satisfactory, ended up no longer being safe satisfactory and that it (the U.Okay. variant) spread really rapidly … It be anywhere from 35 to 60 per cent more transmissible. That’s a lot.”

Furness said he believes that sometime around April, Ontario’s case numbers will rise high satisfactory that the province will want to shut faculties and race into lockdown once again. But he said the summer season can be higher for Ontarians.

Toronto, York Location, Peel Location, and North Bay are the easiest areas within the province the place a stay-at-home narrate remains in fabricate. The narrate expires on Feb. 22 and it is expected at that level the areas will also be part of the coloration-coded framework.

Source:
Opposition blasts Ford for allowing Ontario to begin reopening, warns province is ‘transitioning into a disaster’