An investigation has been launched into Donald Trump’s handling of White House records while he was president amid reports that documents were found in the building’s toilet.
A US House panel announced the probe after 15 boxes of official papers were retrieved from his private Florida home.
The removal of such documents from the White House could be in violation of the law under the Presidential Records Act.
Read more: Donald Trump to pardon Capitol rioters – if he runs and wins in 2024
House oversight panel chairwoman, Carolyn Maloney, said she was “deeply concerned” the files were not handed over to the National Records at the end of Trump’s term.
She also cited recent media reports claiming the 75-year-old “repeatedly attempted to destroy presidential records, which could constitute additional serious violations”.
It comes after a New York Times reporter, Maggie Haberman, claimed White House staff would “periodically find the toilet clogged” and would then discover “wads of clumped up, wet printed paper… either notes or some other piece of paper they believed had been thrown” down it.
The news organisation also reported that possibly classified material was uncovered among the boxes at his property, which were found last month.
What does Trump say?
Addressing the retrieval of the official documents from his home, Trump said: “The papers were given easily and without conflict and on a very friendly basis.”
He added that the 15 boxes, which contained memos, letters, and other papers, were transported to the National Archives after “discussions” he called “collaborative”.
He also said he was “under no obligation” to hand over the records, but did not reveal who told him that was the case.
Commenting on Ms Haberman’s claims, the former president said they were “categorically untrue”.
On Wednesday, the Washington Post reported the National Archives and Records Administration had asked the US
Department of Justice to probe the Republican’s handling of records.
But it remains unclear whether the justice department will be carrying out inquiries.
Sky News has contacted the Department of Justice for comment.
Probe launched into Trump’s handling of White House records amid reports claiming documents were found in toilet