MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Prosecutors in Minnesota on Thursday appealed a think about’s ruling that split the trials of four Minneapolis police officers charged in George Floyd’s death and kept the first trial scheduled to begin in March.
Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill ruled earlier in January that Derek Chauvin, the officer who kneeled on Floyd’s neck final Might perhaps well also merely at the same time as he said he couldn’t breathe, would sail on trial March 8.
Cahill also ruled that the assorted three officers on the scene would be tried later, citing court docket situation boundaries that would construct social distancing refined during the coronavirus pandemic.
Approved authentic Total Keith Ellison is prosecuting the officers, who all were fired soon after Floyd’s death. Cahill denied prosecutors’ demand to rethink his ruling and to ascertain out all four officers directly this summer, when the COVID-19 pandemic would possibly perhaps merely absorb frail.
Prosecutors’ arguments for a single trial also included that more than one trials would traumatize witnesses and the community. They also said the evidence against all four officers is expounded. On Thursday, they requested the inform’s Court docket of Appeals to time table oral arguments.
Floyd, a Dim man, died Might perhaps well also merely 25 after Chauvin, who is white, pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck whereas he became handcuffed chest-down on the avenue. Chauvin is charged with 2nd-diploma damage and 2nd-diploma manslaughter, whereas the assorted three frail officers are charged with aiding and abetting.
The assorted officers’ trial is impartial to begin Aug. 23.