Statutory crimes are one of the most heinous to be charged against, and the judiciary makes sure that the perpetrator is brought to justice. While there are millions of innocents that become victims of these unfortunate incidents, there are also people who misuse the law. For instance, the rates of false allegations and accusations have been on the rise for several reasons. However, due to the stringent laws and rapid action that ensues, the minority of the wrongly accused suffer.
To prevent such incidences or help the falsely accused clear their name in the eyes of law, a criminal defense attorney is the best bet. Not only are they well-versed with all the facets and facts of such lawsuits but also possess the expertise to take on challenging cases. It may be tempting for the innocent party to not want to hire a lawyer because they did nothing wrong, but having a weak defense in criminal cases can prove fatal in court. Today, we’re going to state eight reasons why one should hire a qualified lawyer in a falsely filed criminal lawsuit.
- Defined statutory crimes: Since statutory crimes against a minor and adult are defined as statutory crimes, the action taken against the perpetrator is swift and unforgiving. This would definitely weigh heavily against the person involved because the onus of innocence is on the accused in cases of statutory crimes. When they refuse to have a qualified defense, the consequences of such a lawsuit can result in rigorous punishment that could otherwise have been mitigated with the help of a professional.
- Damage to Reputation: Falsely filed sexual crime accusations are highly damaging to the reputation of an individual and their business. Overnight, one could go from a successful entrepreneur or professional to having zero endorsements. The loss of reputation in public can also cause mental trauma through alienation. In such instances choosing to engage a sex crime attorney is the best option to clear your name as soon as possible and prove your innocence in a court of law. The lawyer can also win you compensation for the loss of reputation.
- Invasive trials and inquiry: Lawsuits involving statutory crimes are highly intrusive in nature, as expected, in order to reach the truth of the matter. If you’re one of the 5% of false accusation cases in the US, this can be a disturbing event considering you’ve done nothing to the person in question. While the questions are invasive, hiring an expert attorney, in this case, can help you retain your dignity and avoid harmful questions by quickly presenting facts to counter-question the perceived victim.
- Stringent law and penalties: The law in the US and abroad both deal with statutory crimes very stringently. Depending on the charge sheet filed against a wrongly accused individual, the punishment can be a heavy penalty to be paid, a long time of imprisonment, or both. When such a falsely accused person decides to not choose their defendant, they’re appointed one by the State. However, this may not work in their favor. This is why consulting a State-appointed law firm for statutory crimes can help you gain justice and avoid such consequences of actions you didn’t commit.
- Record of statutory crime: Did you know that there exists a sex crime registry where your past records of any cases and lawsuits are noted down forever? It not only impacts your impression in any state but can also hinder your travels, and business and professional endeavors. If your name is cleared by the defense lawyer, you can avoid this entry into the offender’s list.
- Professional and academic effects: While the accusation of being involved in a crime may be quite damaging in itself, it can also degrade your professional and academic endeavors. If you were to be employed or enrolled at a highly reputed office or university, the implication of such a false accusation would force them to alienate you. Having your innocence proved can mitigate such consequences.
- Reduction or dropping of false charges: A professional statutory crime lawyer knows what to look for in proving the innocence of their client when falsely accused. This is why they can swiftly push for a reduction in charges or drop them completely.
Now that you understand how essential the role of a criminal lawyer in false lawsuits is, we hope you don’t hesitate to call one if you’re part of this minority. For more information on statutory crime legislation and lawsuits, stay tuned to our next publication.