This weekend, a devoted wine enthusiast splurged practically half of-a-million rand on 375ml of Enormous Constance – one of the rarest bottles identified to man. The 200-300 and sixty five days-frail like – initially sourced in Constantia, Cape Metropolis – will now win delight of relate in someone’s cellar. But what exactly makes it noteworthy of the R420 000 label ticket obtained in Stellenbosch?
The kind behind the insanity: Here’s why one punter just paid R420 000 for a bottle of wine…
Nederburg MD and CFRWA director Niël Groenewald dwelling the scene neatly for us beforehand. Forward of the rare wine auction, he explained that the bottle presented a ‘as soon as in a lifetime different‘ for the die-laborious vino enthusiasts.
“A like of this calibre offers itself perchance as soon as in a lifetime, and someone fortunate adequate to stable this wine at auction will be rewarded with an unbelievably precious fragment of wine historical previous.” | Niël Groenewald
The Enormous Constance used to be a sizable hit amongst some of the supreme of us that ever lived – and it used to be a desired commodity for the French ruling classes. All americans from Napoleon to Marie Antoinette is believed to gain sampled this blend over time – and it has a historical previous as rich as its centuries-frail composition:
The History of the Enormous Constance Wine
- – The bottle of Enormous Constance, first corked in 1821, used to be valued at R80 000 pre-auction. And boy, does it gain a backstory…
- – Believed to be a fave tipple of Napoleon Bonaparte himself, handiest a dozen of the bottles are silent in existence.
- – It’s said he ‘drank a bottle of Constantia day-to-day’ whereas in exile on St Helena, reportedly requesting a pitcher on his deathbed
- – The Constantia blend, native to Cape Metropolis, has also allegedly been easy by Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette.
- – Three bottles of Enormous Constance 1821 (including this one) gain been kept in the Tabernacle at Distell’s Adam Tas production facility ever since. The bottle, one of these rarity, has also been dubbed as a ‘unicorn wine’ by its guardians in Stellenbosch.
Stellenbosch auction sets pulsed racing
Fortuitously, the exhilarating moment this bottle went under the hammer used to be captured on film: A stupefied silence sweeps all over the viewers, as the auctioneer dramatically sets the stage. After fending off a present of R410 000, the bidder held their nerve and went just a bit of bit higher, reaching the file-breaking determine without any extra challenges.
— SardinianMTB (@SardinianMtb) Would possibly presumably just 23, 2021