By Nolan King |
March 6, 2021 10: 55 pm
On Saturday, Rakic (14-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) defeated outmoded UFC light heavyweight title challenger Thiago Santos by unanimous determination (29-28, 29-28, 30-27) in a somewhat lackluster affair.
The light heavyweight bout opened the UFC 259 main card on the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. It aired on pay-per-peek following prelims on ESPN and early prelims on ESPN+.
Two violent light heavyweights with knockout energy in all four limbs, Rakic and Santos fought from distance. The drag was somewhat behind, however both warring parties consistently threw punches and kicks. Each and each warring parties cautiously threw strikes, including a high volume of kicks, at some stage in three rounds.
Rakic’s footwork, vary, and talent to control Santos in the clinch rode him to victory. Santos regarded unbiased a miniature behind Rakic in the exchanges and wasn’t ready to muster up any constant offense. Late in Spherical 3, Rakic shot for a takedown and sealed the take care of regulate for the remainder of the fight.
Broadcasters Joe Rogan and Daniel Cormier agreed the bout was “uneventful” as a total, however they credited Rakic for adding a title esteem Santos to his winning resume.
Despite the indisputable fact that there wasn’t noteworthy jiu-jitsu in the bout, Rakic earned his brown belt from his coaches after the decent determination was learn.
With the victory, Rakic turns a lone win against Anthony Smith in August into a winning trip. Exterior of a rupture up determination loss to Volkan Oezdemir in December 2019, Rakic is unblemished beneath the UFC banner. Rakic additionally holds wins over Jimi Manuwa, Devin Clark, Justin Ledet, and Francimar Barroso.
As for Santos, his most contemporary loss extends his skid to a pair, the longest of his profession. When he entered UFC 259, Santos was coming off befriend-to-befriend defeats to Glover Teixeira and Jon Jones. UFC 259 was the third time Santos misplaced by determination in his profession.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 259 outcomes include:
- Aleksandar Rakic def. Thiago Santos by technique of unanimous determination (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Dominick Cruz def. Casey Kenney by technique of rupture up determination (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Kyler Phillips def. Track Yadong by technique of unanimous determination (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Askar Askarov def. Joseph Benavidez by technique of unanimous determination (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Kai Kara-France def. Rogerio Bontorin by technique of TKO (punch) – Spherical 1, 4: 55
- Tim Elliott def. Jordan Espinosa by technique of unanimous determination (30-27, 30-27, 30-25)
- Kennedy Nzechukwu def. Carlos Ulberg by technique of TKO (punches) – Spherical 2, 3: 19
- Sean Brady def. Jake Matthews by technique of submission (arm-triangle choke) – Spherical 3, 3: 28
- Amanda Lemos def. Livinha Souza by technique of TKO (punch) – Spherical 1, 3: 39
- Uros Medic def. Aalon Cruz by technique of TKO (strikes) – Spherical 1, 1: 40
- Trevin Jones def. Mario Bautista by technique of TKO (punches) – Spherical 2, 0: 47