The main event of the UFC’s most fashionable Battle Evening on the Apex Facility in Las Vegas on Saturday, 13 March ended in a no contest between welterweights Leon Edwards and Belal Muhammad.
British fighter Edwards, who had been out of the Octagon since July 2019, confirmed no indicators of rust, with crisp early striking which rattled his opponent – including a superbly positioned head kick in the opening round.
On the replacement hand, 18 seconds into the 2nd round, Edwards inadvertently poked Pakistan’s Muhammad in the eye. When the latter indicated that he could maybe not continue, the fight used to be waved off and declared a no contest.
“First, I are looking to apologise to Belal Muhammad. A protracted, long year for me and I prepped so arduous. I favor him effectively, I favor him a fat recovery,” Edwards acknowledged after the match.
“Going into it, I acknowledged I didn’t think about in ring rust…I confirmed it tonight.
“I used to be appropriate getting into the float of it. To maintain that freak accident happen, I’m heartbroken. It’s been a protracted year and half of. To attain wait on to this, it’s upsetting you know?”
He added, “It’s heartbreaking. It’s been a protracted, long year and half of. A host of united states of americaand downs – none of these top guys accepting the fight. Belal Muhammad stepped up and permitted the fight. I give him respect for that. I in truth maintain so worthy I realized for the final year and a half of that I desired to point to.
“I used to be going into the fight with the mentality of wanting to fight for the belt subsequent. So now what’s subsequent? What plan I plan now? Is it a rematch, is it any individual else? I no doubt feel love I deserve a title shot. That’s nine fights in a row. I’ve fought every person they offer me.”
UFC Battle Evening: Edwards v Muhammad – Main card outcomes:
– Main event: Welterweight: Leon Edwards v Belal Muhammad ends in no contest (accidental eye poke), R2, 0: 18
– Gentle heavyweight: Ryan Spann def. Misha Cirkunov by capacity of TKO (punches), R1, 1: 11
– Featherweight: Dan Ige def. Gavin Tucker by capacity of KO (punch), R1, 0: 22
– Bantamweight: Davey Grant def. Jonathan Martinez by capacity of KO (punch), R2, 3: 03
– Flyweight: Matheus Nicolau def. Manel Kape by capacity of break up decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28), R3, 5: 00
– Middleweight: Eryk Anders v Darren Stewart ends in no contest (unlawful knee), R1, 4: 37