By Matthew Wells |
June 5, 2021 10: 05 pm ET
Jairzinho Rozenstruik is wait on within the resolve column with every other buzzer-beater.
The heavyweight knockout artist is wait on to his winning ways after defeating Augusto Sakai by TKO within the important thing event of Saturday’s UFC Fight Evening 189 at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. Rozenstruik (12-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) save the ending touches on Sakai (15-3-1 MMA, 4-2 UFC) at the final 2nd within the first round.
The heavyweight bout became once the UFC Fight Evening 189 essential event at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. It streamed on ESPN+.
Rozenstruik is no longer known for his high output early in fights, and that became once no completely different on Saturday night. He has no impart expecting the most appealing different to land a knockout blow whereas controlling the guts of the cage.
After what became once largely an uneventful first round with sporadic placing exchanges, Rozenstruik stumbled on the hole he hoped for as Sakai tried to circle away along the fence.
It became once a crushing two-punch combination that caught Sakai on the exit, sending him to the canvas. Rozenstruik would enter to land just a few more punches nonetheless the referee did no longer are making an attempt to witness any further glide, despite the round-ending horn being appropriate a 2nd away.
ONE. PUNCH. POWER. 👊
— UFC (@ufc) June 6, 2021
Shopping and selling wins and losses in his final four outings, Rozenstruik got wait on heading within the correct course Saturday evening. He also would possibly perchance presumably well catch an affinity for touchdown final-2nd knockouts, as he did the identical thing to Alistair Overeem in the remaining seconds of the fifth round at UFC on ESPN 7.
Tonight’s efficiency in opposition to Sakai became once what Rozenstruik wished to re-place himself within the division. The Suriname native now has six wins below the UFC banner, together with wins in two of three essential event slots.
Sakai has now lost two in a row for the first time in his profession. He became once firstly scheduled to fight Shamil Abdurakhimov in Would per chance well well also merely nonetheless became once shifted to his 2nd consecutive essential event different in opposition to an even bigger title in Rozenstruik. Unfortunately for the Dana White’s Contender Series mature, things did no longer lunge as planned on Saturday.
Up-to-the-minute UFC Fight Evening 189 outcomes encompass:
- Jairzinho Rozenstruik def. Augusto Sakai by intention of KO (Punch) – Round 1, (4: 59)
- Marcin Tybura def. Walt Harris by intention of TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4: 06
- Roman Dolidze def. Laureano Staropoli by intention of unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Santiago Ponzinibbio def. Miguel Baeza by intention of unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Gregory Rodrigues def. Dusko Todorovic by intention of unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Montana De La Rosa def. Ariane Lipski by intention of TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4: 27
- Ilir Latifi def. Tanner Boser by intention of cut up decision (29-28, 27-29, 29-28)
- Muslim Salikhov def. Francisco Trinaldo by intention of unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Kamuela Kirk def. Makwan Amirkhani by intention of unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mason Jones vs. Alan Patrick declared no contest (unintended sight crawl on Patrick)
- Manon Fiorot def. Tabatha Ricci by intention of TKO (punches) – Round 2, 3: 00
- Sean Woodson def. Youssef Zalal by intention of cut up decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Claudio Puelles def. Jordan Leavitt by intention of unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)