The UK authorities today introduced a original equipment of genomic sequencing beef up to aid Pakistan’s fight towards original variants of COVID-19.
Thru the Fresh Variant Review Platform (NVAP) programme Pakistan would maybe be ready to design on UK skills and beef up to detect mercurial original, and potentially more bad, variants of COVID-19.
The UK is an international chief in genomic sequencing for COVID variants and the 2d biggest contributor to the international database for the variants. Thru an agreement reached between UK’s Public Successfully being England (PHE) and Pakistan’s Nationwide Institute for Successfully being (NIH), the UK will fragment its skills and present reagents to elevate genomic sequencing capacity in Pakistan. The meat up will additionally contain technical advice on bio-informatics workflow and technical processes.
The British High Commissioner to Pakistan, Dr Christian Turner acknowledged:
Sharing world class UK science skills with Pakistan will aid detecting original COVID variants of concern and aid combating this pandemic.
This displays essentially the most productive of UK-Pakistan friendship and our commitment to aid Pakistan in constructing aid better from the impacts of COVID-19.
- the Fresh Variant Review Platform (NVAP) is a programme introduced by the Secretary of Deliver for Successfully being in January 2021. Its design is to provide UK beef up globally for SARS-CoV-2 original variant identification to international locations that desire to monitor the variants circulating in their population, nonetheless enact no longer themselves absorb the capability to title these variants
- sturdy surveillance, together with genomics, is primary to figuring out and controlling the transmission of the virus. UK beef up thru the NVAP will present treasured recordsdata to other international locations, allowing them to make stronger their very possess genomic surveillance
- NVAP is led by PHE and would maybe be taken ahead by the UK Successfully being Security Company, working closely with the Division for Successfully being and Social Care and the International, Commonwealth & Style Office
- NVAP will collaborate with key scientific companions each and every at some stage within the UK and internationally
- the UK has sturdy scientific hyperlinks globally that are being leveraged in increasing the programme
- the UK is devoted to equitable entry to vaccines globally. On the G7, the UK introduced this will donate 100 million vaccines for the arena. That is in addition to to our £548 million funding for COVAX which would maybe present vaccines without cost to over 90 international locations, together with Pakistan
- UK science helped the come of the Oxford-College AstraZeneca vaccine; and we are funding a original centre within the UK that would possibly maybe play a key feature in controlling zoonotic diseases and keeping the livelihoods of farmers
- the UK has pivoted £18 million of UK aid in Pakistan to aid set lives and mitigate the towards the health and financial impacts of the pandemic
British High Commission, Islamabad
tel. +92 300 5005306
For added recordsdata
For updates on the British High Commission, please note our social media channels:
Printed 7 July 2021